Simple answer. No. Sugar is NOT a drug. Our bodies thrive on natural sugars! Often, people deny their sugar cravings throughout the day and end up binging on junk! “Nutrionally, fruit comes closer to satisfying all of our needs than any other food! (as meat does for a carnivore). When ripened, fruits convert their carbohydrate components into glucose and fructose, simple sugars that we can use without further digestion”. Doctor Douglas Graham (Raw Foodist, Author of “The 80-10-10 Diet”). Fruits give us everything we need to stay energized throughout the day! AND they are packed full of nutrients.
Sugar doesn’t make your fat! Fat makes you fat. Our bodies THRIVE on natural sugars from fruits. You want to know what packs on the pounds? Meat and dairy. Steak, pork, lamb, you name it! And don’t think “lean meats” like poultry and fish are any better. They are FULL of fat. And it’s not the sugar in the junk food that makes you fat, it’s the butter fats that are in cookies, cakes and ice cream!
Eating a high-carb, low fat vegan diet (80% fruits and veggies) will make you lean. And extremely healthy! I have recent blood test results to prove it.
If you get a “sugar rush” from fruit, it could be for a few reasons…
- You’re dehydrated! I drink 3-4 litres of water a day. Starting with 1 full litre first thing in the morning, before breakfast. You should be peeing 8-10 times per day and your urine should be clear. If it’s yellow, you’re not drinking enough water!
- Your diet is too high in fat! (Fat blocks sugar absorption from the cells, which leads to sugar highs and crashes). If you haven’t already, cut out meat and dairy. Reduce the amount of oil you use for cooking. When I bake potato wedges, I use parchment paper. Watch your intake of nuts, seeds and avocadoes. Your diet should consist of less than 10% fat from your total daily calories.
- You’re not getting enough sleep! You’re body needs time to rest and recover.
Bottom line: Every cell in the body operates on sugar. It is used in almost every bodily process.
Want to feel energized? Want to be lean? Want to reduce your junk food cravings?
Here’s the solution…
1) Carb-up!! The majority of your calories on a high-carb, low-fat vegan lifestyle should come from fruit! If you’re getting enough calories from fruit, you won’t crave the junk!
2) Cut out the meat and dairy (if you haven’t already). Animal products are high in fat and cholesterol. This includes eggs!
3) Cut the fat down to less than 10% of your daily calories! Remember, the majority of your calories should be coming from fruits and veg. If you’re already vegan, cut down on the fatty filler foods – processed and packaged soy products, nut butters, etc.
What about Diabetes?
This lifestyle (high-carb, low-fat, vegan) has been proven to reverse diabetes. If you want to learn more about preventing disease and adopting a whole-foods diet you can check out the Tedtalk below with Dr. Neal Barnard.
If you don’t know where to start, check out my article A healthy diet and nutrition for yoga. (Even if you don’t practice yoga, it’s a good starting point).
Thanks for checking me out! Good luck 🙂