Guys, I’m so excited about this recipe! Before I went vegan, I LOVED this dish but felt so guilty every time I ate it. The cream, the oil, the pancetta – basically diggin’ myself an early grave. I came across this recipe on the Vegan Corner’s youtube channel and I knew it would be delicious. So much flavour, creamy (without the cream!) and awesome texture. And a bonus is that it’s incredibly healthy – the base of the sauce is made with carrots and it’s oil-free! I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it my own. Here’s what you need….
2 organic zucchinis, 1-2 organic carrots (boiled), 2 tsp miso paste, 1 pinch of smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp of onion powder, half a clove of garlic, 1/2 tsp of flour, 1 pinch of salt, 5 tbsp of nutritional yeast, 1/2 – 3/4 cup of soy milk, cayenne to taste, 7 oz of uncooked spaghetti.
- Dice the zucchinis into pea-sized pieces.
- Place the carrots, the miso, the paprika, the onion and garlic, the flour, the salt, the nutritional yeast and the non-dairy milk into your high-power blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Now take a non-stick pan, place it over a medium heat and tip in the diced zucchinis. (If you don’t have a non-stick pan, use water for a healthy sautee). Cook the diced zucchini for roughly 10-15 minutes or until they become slightly golden brown. Stir every now and then to avoid burning the vegetables. Next, pop your pan into your oven on broil for a few minutes to make them nice and crispy. Once finished, set the zucchinis aside for later use.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package, place the pan back over a medium heat, add in the sauce and tip in the cooked pasta. Stir well until the sauce becomes creamy and delicious looking, and then, add in the cooked zucchinis to complete the dish.
- Add a good quantity of black pepper and a few sprinkles of cayenne if you like a little spice!